Considering this particular Wal-Mart will be closest one to where we are moving in South Toledo I wasn't really unhappy to learn they were going to add a grocery store to the present location but...no one mentioned Aldi's. Which is right in the very same plaza as the Wal-Mart. I realize people view Aldi's as more of a discount type grocery store but they do sell groceries, I shop at the Holland location on a regular basis and was glad to see there was one that close in South Toledo.
I don't know how much if any business a grocery store within Wal-Mart would take away from Aldi's, but I thought they at least deserved recognition of their existance.
:-)
Keeping Your Belongings Safe Through Storms
-
Years ago almost every house was built with some sort of shutter, whether
designed as storm shutters or for security. Granted, most windows during
those d...
13 years ago
2 comments:
Very valid point Kern, the only thing I can see that the Kroger at Byrne and Glendale offers that the one at Glendale and Detroit does not is the Package Liquor store which is not going to probably be enough to keep it open, then again I wondered how that store would be able to stay open with the other two Krogers in such close proximity.
Same thing where I live right now, the smaller Kroger at Angola and McCord might not be able to generate enough traffic once the Wal-Mart across from Springfield High School is completed. Though I personally prefer that one since it is much easier to get in and out of than Spring Meadows.
I fully agree with you that this should be talked about and planned for now rather than after several months of a possibly vacant spot has existed.
I also agree with you that most times especially when it comes to these grocery stores it is more of a matter of worker displacement as opposed to new jobs. We saw that with Farmer Jack.
As to the living wage issue, Kroger's doesn't start out paying anywhere close to that either. With the new store being in Toledo, I guess that is something they will have to address, as far as will Wal-Mart get a waiver like Costco did. Yet the starting wage at Wal-Mart from what I understand is still higher than a starting wage at the union Kroger locations. Unless something has dramatically changed in the past year, the starting wage at Kroger was only a bit higher than the federal minimum wage.
Trader Joe's and Aldi's are mutually owned. Wouldn't it be grand if a Trader Joe's opened up in Toledo.
Post a Comment