The title linked article in La Prensa gives you information on the CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocate) Programs in Ohio and in Toledo.
The history of CASA dates back to 1977 when a Seattle judge called upon community volunteers to assist the court by researching and representing the best interests of child abuse victims after a small boy died when he was sent back to his abusive home.
The Toledo Program needs your help, they especially need spanish speaking volunteers. According to the La Prensa article:
CASA (in Columbus, Toledo, and nationwide) is seeking more volunteers. There is an increasing need for Latino volunteers to help the growing number of Latino children who fall into the system. There’s also a need for information specialists who are willing to learn the details of the program and can educate and/or train other Latinos in the community about CASA and its mission.
For more information on this program in Ohio, visit here..
Keeping Your Belongings Safe Through Storms
-
Years ago almost every house was built with some sort of shutter, whether
designed as storm shutters or for security. Granted, most windows during
those d...
13 years ago
11 comments:
Thanks, Lisa, for highlighting this fantastic group. It takes something special to be a CASA Volunteer - looking out for what's in the best interest of the child. I don't think I could do it, but there are many excellent individuals who can and do.
CASA has been the focus nationally with the National Association of Counties. Each incoming president has a special focus and the current president picked CASA. I happen to think that OUR CASA group is the best in the country!
I encourage people to learn more about it, and volunteer if they can!
I didn't realize that as far as the National Association of Counties. I agree with you on our area having one of the best CASA groups.
:-)
while the local CASA workers are some of the best in the nation, the Toledo office personnel leave much to be desired.
I know of 3 CASA workers, some with decades of service, who have quit the program due to the director.
Additionally, LCCS director Dean Sparks is fairly incompetent and finds little monies from his multi-million dollar pot to help test lids for the learning and behavoral problems which they exhibit.
Again, the CASA volunteers are top-notch!
LD - as CSB has a levy on the ballot this year, I'd be VERY interested in having the details about CSB not providing testing...
I'd be VERY interested in having the details about CSB not providing testing...
My wife was a CASA until last year. She fought quite hard for testing services for one of her children. This struggle lasted for more than a year and a half and she needed to jump through many hoops and dodge obstacles put in her way by Dean Sparks.
Even after a difficult face-to-face meeting with Sparks, his stonewalling continued while the child floundered in an inapproprate classroom setting. After a long and often bitter fight, CSB finally allowed testing of the boy and the test results what my wife had suspected all along: FAS.
If you'd like her story, contact me at my muddy-politics email address at Yahoo.
That's scary to hear, can you give me any advice?
In your dealings with local Director Carol Martin, you ought to just do your business and then leave. I have heard from several CASAs that she has one of those management personalities which presents two completely different faces: charming and cunning.
My adivce is not to get into gossip or the politics of the office. Go in, say hello, get your business done, and leave.
The CASA Program is much more than one person's personality, so don't let her stand in the way of a marvelous opportunity to make a difference in the life of a child.
Just be careful.
Do, 100% agreed, from random acts of kindness to volunteers, there are many people in our Country who deserve that moment of thanks.
Like most of us involved professionally (whether paid or as a volunteer) in helping children, CASAs are underrated, underrespected and underused. I've lost touch with the group since I've been out of the children's mental health agency field, but I ALWAYS thought highly of the need, if not always the people providing the service. No matter how you slice it, it's a job few people want to do and even fewer people recognize as necessary. It's sad that CASAs are even needed.
(Did I ever tell you that I almost took a legal internship position with ABLE in Toledo but I got a work in the Cuyahoga County Juvie Court instead?)
Jill, you never told me that, imagine the possibilities of the trouble we could have caused if we were in the same town...
:-)
Do - very nicely said!!!!
Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»
Post a Comment