Press Release from Dave Schulz for Toledo City Council campaign from Press Conference earlier today:
Dave Schulz To Hold Press Conference Suggesting A Way To Stem Brain Drain
Will suggest a way Joe Mcnamara can help solve the Brain Drain problem
City Council candidate Dave Schulz will hold a press conference on Thursday September 14th at 11:30 a.m. in front of Clear Images, 121 11th St in Downtown Toledo.
Recently, Joe Mcnamara suggested ways to stem brain drain in Toledo. Dave Schulz will suggest to city council candidate Joe Mcnamara how he can best help stem the brain drain in Toledo.
THE SUGGESTION:
Buy Local!!!
Mr. Mcnamara did not purchase his campaign signs from a local young businessman who operates Clear Images in Downtown Toledo. He purchased them from www.americascampaignstore.com in Indiana.
Clear Images is part of a group of companies that promote their products as being “Made In Ohio”. Schulz noted, "Not only did he buy his signs out of town but out of state." (go to their website www.designgraphics.net to get a gif of Made In Ohio if you think it fits)
“This is a slap in the face of the hard working men and women of Toledo. Mr. Mcnamara’s use of an out of state printer while not even attempting to buy from a locally owned union shop is outrageous and hypocritical.”, Schulz stated.
Instead of stemming the brain drain, Mcnamara is contributing to it. Candidate Schulz purchased his signs from Clear Images like most local candidates have done – except for Mr. Mcnamara.
Schulz contends that all candidates for local office should be aware of local businesses who manufacture campaign items and should attempt to buy from them and negotiate better pricing if need be.
Schulz will discuss the issue at the above location.
Keeping Your Belongings Safe Through Storms
-
Years ago almost every house was built with some sort of shutter, whether
designed as storm shutters or for security. Granted, most windows during
those d...
13 years ago
13 comments:
I knew about this out-of-state purchase several weeks ago but sat on the info.
While I agree that Mr. McNamara should buy local, I think it's a big stretch to say that he contributed to the brain drain by buying in Indiana. It's a big stretch indeed. I'm curious liberal dem, why did you sit on this?
Aren't there more important issues facing the City of Toledo than one candidates' choice of a political sign manaufactureer.? The media should be more judicious re: the stories they cover. This is a non-story in my opinion!
Yeah, but don't you love that Schulz is bragging about his purhcasing experience while attacking somebody for saving 40% on a purchase?
I'm curious liberal dem, why did you sit on this?
I suspected that one of his opponents would eventually find it out too. I let them get the news scoop as a reward for their investigative skills.
Dave- I used my magnifying glass this morning to see if the photo accompanying your press release was really you.
Yep, the micro-mini photo was, in fact, you!
Link to the Toledo Blade article this morning.
I knew about it because it came up in a thread on Politics in Mudville with an anonymous commenter taking me to task for letting my youngest daughter hold one of Joe's signs at the Labor Day Parade. I thought about writing about it in the larger context of campaigns and the recent controversy over should we fly local or not but I didn't have all of the information as far as who else outside of the Toledo City Council race has used or does use other companies besides Clear Images.
Until I read about it on LD's blog I wasn't aware of the campaign sign aspect of this, typically the things I've followed when it came to signs is who's taking who's sign, who's signs are being defaced, and things related to that sort of situation.
I do advocate buying local, I've been a very strong supporter of that issue but I also realize there are situations where people are not going to spend more. But I'm sure all of the local candidates are happy to learn that it appears the owner of Clear Images is willing to negotiate prices with them so that is a benefit to this topic coming up.
:-)
Starve,
Not sure where you got the 40% figure. Perhaps you are on the campaign? Like Frank the owner said, that when you factor in freight charges it probably is a wash and at that point, Joe didn't do his homework on the true overall costs and didn't support a local union shop or try to work with them. He is suppose to be a lawyer with negotiating skills. Those are the facts.
Not with any campaign ever. calculated from The Blade article, but you're right that is without freight.
Isn't it a bit ridiculous to put the burden of supporting a business on the customer instead of putting the burden on the business to solicit their business? Where was your car made? What about your shoes? What about your shirts? What does this really have to do with anything?
Go get your calculator checked!!!
I think Clear Images has a hall of shame of signs, because last time I was there they had McNamara, Dann, etc signs that told the state they were purchased in.
Joe hasn't ran before, so unless they just added him recently don't see how he would have made it into their "Hall of Shame". However, that wouldn't make me want to buy my next signs from them if I was a politician. I'm not sure "Use me or Else" is the message I'd want to send out. I would think they would prefer their message to be "we're local and we are competitive in pricing".
We don't know if there was an additional discount or not when the sign order was placed but taking the numbers from the Blade:
$1,555, plus shipping and $35 equals 1,590
$1,940 is the figure that the campaign would have seen since it was stated that was present.
$350.00 - plus whatever shipping but we don't know about the other sign costs since Joe has two types of signs, the large ones and the small ones.
I just love it when a campaign gets derailed over petty shit like this.
My advice? Drop the stink bomb and then walk away from it.
Let others dwell on it while you grt back to delivering "your" message ;-)
But, asn't it fun to watch?
:-]
(That Hooda character is just full of advice today...)
Post a Comment