Sunday, September 10, 2006

Joe McNamara Press Conference on “No Crony Left Behind”

"Upstart" Joe McNamara (according to Lee Conklin of WTVG on this morning's Conklin and Company) has just sent out this Press Release:

McNamara Blasts Mayor’s Executive Pay Raise Ordinance as “No Crony Left Behind”

Democrat Joe McNamara will hold a press conference today, Sunday, September 10, 2006, at 2 PM in front of the Public Safety Building in downtown Toledo to call on City Council to reject the “No Crony Left Behind” ordinance from Mayor Carty Finkbeiner that dramatically raises executive pay.

“The mayor hollers about overtime for police officers and fire fighters but he wants massive pay raises for his executives,” notes McNamara. “It’s an outrage. I call it ‘No Crony Left Behind.’”

UPDATE Monday:

Tom Troy of the Toledo Blade, has more on yesterday's press conference including reaction from the City and three of the other City Council candidates.

:-)

6 comments:

liberal_dem said...

No crony left behind! That's a good one.

Anonymous said...

I'm not saying these guys are the best,i don't know any of them, but if you want quality people you have to pay for them.

Anonymous said...

I agree with sensorg - though raising salaries in such steep amounts without any sort of "step up" period is a pretty dumb move, you have to pay for quality administrators. If people can go to Sylvania or Monroe and make 20K more in the same position (and have half of the responsibility) why wouldn't they leave? We don't need any more brain drain, even if it is in the category of government jobs.

Anonymous said...

I think that the Blade had a similar argument a few years ago when they endorsed a city-led initiative raising the pay for City Council members and the mayor. They argued that having a higher paid Mayor and Council will result in more qualified people running for office and a higher-performing Mayor and Council.

They got the pay raises...but they're still the poor performing dimwits that Toledoans always elect.

Anonymous said...

More pay for....what?

I had to laugh when I read the story that the Mayor will put forth legislation to boost the salaries of "management" people because they have had a raise in five years. Do they deserve one?

My thought is no. I look around and I see vacant store fronts, I see vacant homes boarded up. I see lots empty and the administrators need a raise because some city workers earn more than the boss.

Who negoiated the pay scales for the workers, management and the workers. And management can not set pay scales for themselves in the process and now the time is at hand to boost the salaries for themselves?

The city leaders need to lead and show us what they do and what they have done and not the one man circus we have now.

Delegate Carty and let people do their jobs and maybe then after some jobs have been done and there is some improvement beyond bolting signs to telephone poles then maybe people will deserve a raise but now, in my opinion, no.

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

Our "beloved" Mayor (Ready.., FireAim) Carty has such a wonderfully awful sense of timing.

Any intelligent politician would have brought up the matter of raises AFTER the election cycle, not DURING one...


Carty..., Ya gotta love anyone who willingly shoots himself in the foot as often as he does ;-)