Ensuring that every person calling into a service agency is treated with courtesy seems simple, but it's a value that members of the Lucas County Family Council decided to stand behind Friday.
However it is something that is needed, and I was even more encouraged to read that the "No Wrong Door" policy is being looked at being implimented here.
In Wood County, as even their logo implies:

The mission of the No Wrong Door program is to make information about services and resources available with one call to any of the member agencies. The Wood County Department of Job and Family Services is a member agency. We also participate in every training. The goal of this program is that people would only have to make one call to find the right resource for their need. The name "No Wrong Door" means that you may go to any of the member agencies to find the information and referral you need.
No more hunting for the right agency/resource. No more repeated phone calls only to reach another dead end. There is no wrong door in this system. All member agencies are trained as are many community people who want to be a good place to call for help.
Kudos to the members of the Lucas County Family Council for continuing to do a great job in looking at ways to improve/enhance the Lucas County Social Services network.
:-)
3 comments:
I was on the Lucas County Families and Childrens First Council way back in the early 1990s, at which time we were advocating the implementation of one-stop services, transparent systems, cross-training of service agencies delivery systems, a common application for all social services regardless of agency, etc. Bureaucratic shuffling, turf protection, issues of confidentiality, legal liabilty, etc. always seemed to logjam our efforts.
It's nice to see that something has finally been initiated.
My efforts on other similar projects, including such things as adequate medical care availabilty and accessibilty, child care, neighborhood preservation and rehabilitation, neighborhood business districts, crime prevention, and so much more, go back to the 1970s.
oops, I see an "s" where it doesn't belong in my previous comment. So much for my proof-reading. duh.
Lucas County Families and Childrens First Council should actually be Lucas County Families and Children First Council.
Roland - no worries on the typo's, I often find something I missed when posting but can go back and edit. That's one of the downsides to bloggers commenting system and most commenting systems for blogs is you cant go back in to edit.
Thank you for posting though, I hadn't realize this had been suggested that many years ago for Lucas County. I do hope that this time this system is put into place. From my contacts I've had with the Lucas County Social Service System, it would have been very helpful.
While I think it is awesome how much time you have invested in trying to make our county and city a better place, it's also disheartening to realize that some of the problems we have are ones we have had for decades. Yet, I keep reminding myself, every step forward is better than one step back.
:-)
Post a Comment