We did know this was coming, it was mentioned several times including when our Mayor hired Brian Schwartz. I think everyone agrees with Toledo City Councilperson Phil Copeland who stated:
"Everybody deserves a raise, if they're doing a good job. If they've done a good job, they should be rewarded for it, they should be paid for it, just like anybody else," Mr. Copeland said. "They got bills to pay, just like anybody else."
I think the questions surrounding this issue will be based on can the City afford this right now and if Toledo is behind other large Ohio Cities as far as the amount of pay they offer how much are they behind. I don't think you can base this on what other cities pay that have different cost of living factors.
So, I took a quick search around the internet to see if I could discover what other Ohio cities are paying.
The title linked Blade article states:
Department directors, who have a pay range of $60,500 to $92,500, would be adjusted to a range of $88,048 to $123,254.
One recent internet job listing has this among the other openings:
Troy, OH (pop. 23,000) Director of Public Service and Safety. Salary +/- $108,000 DOQ
Dublin, Ohio has a very professional looking 12 page recruitment document for a Director of Land Use and Long Range Planning, but it doesn't include their salary range.
So, it will be interesting to see what information comes out as a part of this process, who supports the increases, who is opposed to the salary increases and what the final outcomes ends up being.
Keeping Your Belongings Safe Through Storms
-
Years ago almost every house was built with some sort of shutter, whether
designed as storm shutters or for security. Granted, most windows during
those d...
13 years ago
4 comments:
It's so nice to know that in these tough economic times, the upper class will be able to continue the life-style to which they are accustomed.
Government jobs should pay what industry pays.
Otherwise you loose those with skills and keep the ones who can't compete.
I guess I look at that a bit differently. Most people when making the decision between private sector and government realize that if earnings is what their main goal is that the private sector will almost always pay more. While everyone should be compensated fairly it's not always about the money when it comes to doing a job. Take teaching as just one example, if it was about the money? We'd have alot less teachers....
I'd like to see more information on how much lower Toledo is compared to other Ohio cities in what it pays and I'm not really sure now is the best time for what sounds like the possibility of some fairly large increases in salary.
As I've said before [you know where ;-)], An unbiased and objective reevaluaton of all Toledo's pay, classifications and benefits is long overdue.
Patching the salaries at the top only, smacks of a repeat of the "Hay Study" of the late 70's and early 80's.
The cost of living in Toledo would also factor into any real evaluation.
Post a Comment