Thursday, September 21, 2006

Joe McNamara Press Release - Proposed Tax Cuts for Teachers

From the Joe McNamara for Toledo City Council Campaign:

McNamara Proposes Tax Cuts For Toledo Teachers Who Call Toledo Home

Toledo City Council candidate would also extend incentives to Toledo police and fire fighters not bound by residency restrictions

Toledo, OH – Seeking to strengthen the tax base for our city’s public schools and reward the teachers who teach in them, Toledo City Council candidate Joe McNamara wants the city to offer tax cuts as residency incentives for teachers.

McNamara will hold a press conference today, Thursday, September 21, at 2 PM in front of Scott High School, 2400 Collingwood, to outline his proposal to cut taxes for public school educators who teach in Toledo and live in Toledo. McNamara wants to extend the same incentives to Toledo police and fire fighters who are not bound by residency restrictions.

McNamara is proposing a 50% cut in the city’s income tax and a 25% water bill credit for those eligible. Under this plan, a teacher making $48,000 and paying an annual water bill of $280 would receive $610 each year as thanks for living in the community they serve.

UPDATE: 5:19 p.m. - The Dave Schulz for Toledo City Council campaign has sent out a press release that is in direct response to Joe's earlier press release so I've opted to include it here under the "read more". It is titled, "Dave Schulz Responds To McNamara’s Silly Proposal".


City Council candidate Dave Schulz responds to candidate Mcnamara’s proposal to offer tax incentives to Toledo School teachers and fire and police employees.

Schulz asks the following hard questions:

How is he going to pay for it since he wouldn't even propose any cuts under his spending restraint plan he threw out in August? What would he cut?

Has he ever attended a Toledo public school?

Would this plan apply to all city employees who are living here now?

The court ruled recently that residency restrictions are unconstitutional, therefore all city employees can live outside Toledo if they choose. Mcnamara’s plan would have to apply to all 3,000 some city employees, otherwise it would be discriminatory. Then the costs start really adding up. And we know from recent experience that he lacks the political courage to come forward with ways to reduce expenses.

Does he currently pay property taxes to the Toledo Public School District? No, he lives in an area of Toledo that is part of the Sylvania School district. He says the objective is to enhance the tax base for the school and he doesn't contribute to it. Look up 4619 Cranbrook on the auditor’s website for yourself.

Schulz stated, "If he is so interested in TPS, he should be running for school board and not wasting voters' time running for city council."

18 comments:

liberal_dem said...

It will be interesting to see which candidate gets more space and photo size should The Blade report on each press release.

Anonymous said...

Any coverage would be better than the coverage they gave Santiago last week. Funny how Mike Ashford says the EXACT same thing as Santiago, minus the details and reasoning, and it makes the Blade. Santiago actually promises to make it her priority during the budget process, and JR Block prints nothing.

The West Toledo Herald and El Tiempo thought it was newsworthy - apparently Toledo's paper of record thinks eating ice cream is more important than hiring more police (both stories would have been considered for the Sep. 14 issue).

Anonymous said...

I'd invite anybody to go to Santiago's website and read her statement. You'll see it's without any details whatsoever. You don't seriously think somebody can hold a press conference and just say "more cops" with no elaboration and get news coverage? She might as well have promised to make "more ice cream" a priority.

Unknown said...

I did post the full press release from the Santiago campaign on that because it was sent to me.

I saw that Ashford got a mention in the Blade but he didn't get a mention in any of the tv media coverage on the double murder. I can't say I understand why the press release from the Santiago campaign was not written about.

Anonymous said...

I will repeat this because it applies...

Any of this Blade conspiracy talk is ridiculous. The fact is that the Blade covers those who actually say and promote new ideas. The two candidates who do this are Konop and McNamara. They're the only candidates out there promoting new ideas, and these new ideas deserve coverage. All of these other candidates would get the same coverage if they were creating and promoting new ideas for the improvement of Toledo, Lucas County, and the region. It's as simple as that. There is no conspiracy, nor is either candidate in the pocket of the Blade. If you think that, you are ignorant.

A lot of people are excited about Konop and McNamara because they are a breath of fresh air. They are not entrenched with our current, pathetic local government, nor are they Carty's bitches. I say good for them and good for the Blade for promoting new ideas to help Toledo grow. We need more of them.

Anonymous said...

Anyone else proud to wear Kurt's moniker "ignorant" for knowing the Blade backs Ben and Joe, say "aye"!

A-Y-E!

BrianInVero

It amuses me to see some people just cannot grasp the truth even if it was staring them in the face.

He did not say they were a "breath of fresh air", did he? Must live near Hoffman Rd.

Anonymous said...

Kurt definitely has his head in the sand. Kurt, his ideas are not new or particularly good. Joe has relationships with the Blocks and I agree with Waterville, his ideas are not practical or realistic.

liberal_dem said...

The Blade scorecard today is this:

McNamara- 1 photo, 1 article
Vasquez- 0 photo, 0 article

What's my prize?

Unknown said...

Tom Troy was there....I saw him on the video on Fox 36

But there are some issues with more media than just the Blade...

Anonymous said...

Just because Joe has a relationship with the Blocks (if he even does at all) does not mean that he is in an agreement with them and does whatever they tell him to... and even if he DOES? I still like him, he's got great ideas. There's corruption all over, don't think that any one of those candidates is 100% corruption free. I would rather Joe's corruption be as deep that the Blade supports him, rather than that he was appointed because he is keeping quiet about something to appease an elected official.

Karen SHANAHAN said...

It is essential that our teachers and administrators of TPS support the school system as residents of Toledo. As stated on my Blog 9/10, 60% reside outside Toledo. It is expected a percent of teachers/administrators would choose to live outside the city, but 60% is detrimental to our system. You may read more on the subject as referenced on my blog: http://shanahanselect.blogspot.com/2006/09/teacher-residency.html. This was sent as a press release to all the local newspapers, radio and television stations on the 10th

liberal_dem said...

Just because Joe has a relationship with the Blocks...

I was sent information several days ago that the house which McNamara now has belonged to William and Carol Block.

Unknown said...

William and Carol Block sold that house in 1989, then the house was sold again in 2004...It's simple public records information that anyone who knows how to access can get to.

So, because that particular house was owned 17 years ago that makes a connection to the editorial staff of the Toledo Blade?

Even if he would have bought the house from the Blocks, which he didn't that's one heck of a stretch to try to create some sort of connection. I know you don't like him LD but wow...

Anonymous said...

realdem said...

You don't seriously think somebody can hold a press conference and just say "more cops" with no elaboration and get news coverage?


That's exactly what Mike Ashford did.

liberal_dem said...

Even if he would have bought the house from the Blocks, which he didn't that's one heck of a stretch to try to create some sort of connection.

Not at all. I did not publish this information because I did not know if it was true or not. Although my 'source' has been credible in the past, there was reason to hold back on the info.

Now you confirm that it was, in fact, 'a stretch.'

--------------

Regarding the "I know you do not like him" statement, THAT is a real stretch. Have I shown that in my posts and comments? What mayt seem like negativity to you is the fact that he is receiving undue support from The Blade for some rather bush-league ideas.

As The Blade is the major source of political information in this city, the other 3 council candidates are getting quite the short stick from them.

Trees against crime and pub crawls against brain-drain are hardly newsworthy ideas, yet The Blade covered them. Additonally, the Omar Sharif-McNamara look-alike piece was nothing but tabloid pap.

By the way, Joe does not sent press releases to me any more; he hasn't for over a month. He has chosen that avenue, not I. I post every press release sent to me, or link it to yours if you are first to post it.

I am not snubbing him. I am calling for a level playing field for the other 3 [5] candidates. And I don't see it.

Unknown said...

I am calling for a level playing field for the other 3 [5] candidates. And I don't see it.

We agree on that aspect. There are six of them last I checked the BOE. I was told Mohn dropped out but it doesn't appear that was accurate.

It appears you are anti-Joe, if I've gotten the wrong impression then I'm sorry. I don't think Bob has been treated fairly thru most of this but I don't believe that is anything that Joe is personally involved in creating. Bob isn't getting the media coverage then he's also dealing with the same bs thrown at Joe for running unendorsed. Lourdes may have the power of the endorsement but she's not getting the media coverage. Dave hasn't gotten the coverage on all of his releases and then all of the other non-Toledo City Council races.

I can't answer as to the press releases stopping from the McNarama campaign. We both share the same policy on that one too - I try not to post if I've seen either you or Don has posted. I've reached out to George Sarantou and he hasn't responded, but I do receive press releases from Lourdes that I'll present the same way I do everyones. Except for press releases in response to press releases. I think those are best included as a response/addition.

liberal_dem said...

McNamara Proposes Tax Cuts For Toledo Teachers Who Call Toledo Home

Toledo City Council candidate would also extend incentives to Toledo police and fire fighters not bound by residency restrictions



I wonder if Joe put out this press release in order to get the TPPU, Firefighters, and TFT endorsements.

Unknown said...

Would have been a bit late if that is what he had in mind.

:-)