The Toledo Blade reported on this. I didn't attend so I don't know the full context of this:
Mr. Konop did not relent. Pitching himself as the candidate of "detailed, innovative, and new ideas," he accused Mr. Sarantou of undermining minorities and minority issues in Lucas County because of his support for Ken Blackwell, the Ohio secretary of state who is the Republican candidate for governor.
That, Mr. Konop attacked, was an affront to minority voters because Mr. Blackwell was the man in charge of the election in Ohio in 2004. Mr. Konop said many believed Mr. Blackwell was particularly disenfranchising for minority voters.
"I believe I sent Ken Blackwell $25 or $50, but my opponent is behaving in a [Sen. Joseph] McCarthy way," Mr. Sarantou responded, noting that he has spent more than 24 years in public service, "always looking out for all people."
I think to be fair it should be pointed out that during the primary, George Sarantou supported Jim Petro. Pam Haynam stated she supported Ken Blackwell. Nor does it appear that George was a huge supporter of Ken Blackwell prior to the Gubernatorial run. While I'm sure that George like most endorsed party candidates is going to publicly state he supports his party ticket, I have to disagree with Ben Konop on making Ken Blackwell an issue in the Konop V Sarantou campaign. Yes, I understand the whole broad brush thing that happens during campaigns where the actions of a few are used attack all. I just don't happen to agree with that particular method, from anyone who is campaigning, I think we should focus most on the specific issues and what each candidate brings to the table.
I also received word that the George Sarantou for Lucas County Commissioner campaign website is up at running at: www.georgesarantou.com. This site has also been added to the sidebar listing of candidate websites.
:-)
Keeping Your Belongings Safe Through Storms
-
Years ago almost every house was built with some sort of shutter, whether
designed as storm shutters or for security. Granted, most windows during
those d...
13 years ago
3 comments:
I agree with your view that candidates shouldn't try to paint the other with the "broad brush."
Whether it be Noe, McCloskey or even Ben's Aunt Sandy Isenberg. Their actions should have no bearing on Ben or George.
On another note, Ben may not have known that George was on the board of Cordelia Martin or was President of the Frederick Douglass Center when he went after him on minority issues. A rather weak reply from him with the "I worked at a soup kitchen when I was in high school." Rather tepid.
As far as George's website. Rather average at best.
Agreed Anonymous, and as for the website? It is a pretty basic one but it's worth pointing out to readers that it has been created.
I would really like to see both candidates tell me, the voter, what they are going to do if/when they win the commissioner's office.
Tell me how you are going to help the residents of Lucas County. What are you goign to do to make this a better place to live?
Don't bitch at each other about who has more experience or who has a better rapport with minorities.
Quite frankly, just because someone has 24 years of experience in office does not qualify him to win. It just means he's been around for a while....and could be stale.
On the flip side, let's stop all the wrangling about who took money from whom (whether allegedly in envelopes or in the form of donations). Those are not points that the voters care about. Voters want to hear an answer to "what will you do for me?"
So Ben and George: Tell us. What are you going to do for Lucas County if you win?
Post a Comment