Tuesday, September 19, 2006

The Us versus Them mindset in Party Politics...

We've seen this locally when it comes to simple things such as petition signing, we've also seen it when it comes to within the Lucas County Democratic Party as to being told you can't support either one of the unendorsed Democrats running for the Toledo City Council spot. We've heard our own President and his administration state the whole you are either with us or against us in varying formats.

For me one of the major issues I have with the concept of party politics can be demonstrated by what happened to Charles Saxbe. Saxbe could not do what many Republicans are doing, saying off the record they can't support Ken Blackwell, he openly came out in support of Ted Strickland. (Curtsy to Modern Esquire for the news link.)

Saxbe stated:

"I don't think any right-thinking Republican believes that people who are supporting choice are murderers, or that people who support gay rights or who are gay are somehow ill-equipped to enjoy the privileges of citizenry in this state," Saxbe told reporters after the event.

According to Ken Blackwell's spokesman:

He said Blackwell and the party aren't upset because Saxbe disagrees with them, they're upset that he endorsed a Democrat.

"As far as we're concerned, he's no longer a member of this party. He decided that yesterday," LoParo said the day after Saxbe's event.


I know there are many schools of thought on this. So, I'm interested in what you think. Not just related to Saxbe deciding he wanted to openly support Ted Strickland, but in general does it have more of an impact for you as a voter if a person from another party endorses a candidate? How do you feel about this whole "traitor" to the party type scenario that some are presenting?

2 comments:

Maggie said...

Lisa - this is a great post...I'm disappointed that no one's commented as yet. I, of course, have my own opinions, but when I started to type them, they were so long...

I guess, to sum up my position on this, I go back to basic politeness. You wouldn't walk into your place of employment and brag that you don't buy the product YOU make, but rather, one that your competitor makes. I kindof think of cross-party endorsements the same way. If you've played a role within your party, it's just not polite to thumb your nose at your party's candidate - regardless of your opinions of that person.

I also think that most people really don't care about individual endorsements - groups maybe (like unions, business affiliations, etc...) but not an individual and I really don't think it makes a difference to a voter that some republican attorney in Columbus has backed a democrat.

Sometimes, silence (lack of support or endorsement) is a more powerful message.

Anyway, my two cents, but thanks for raising the issue!

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

See, it's that EVIL "party" thing rearing its ugly head.

It just strengthen's my conviction that "the party" is the problem with out political system.

It's about the ideas and about the candidate's actions people, don't give the party any concern.