This just in from the Bob Vasquez for Toledo City Council campaign:
Dear Mr. Walton:
I write today to thank you for the opportunity to screen for the Toledo Blade’s endorsement; however I must respectfully decline your offer as I will not enter your building so long as your workers remain locked out. It would be unconscionable to me to cross the locked-out workers’ informational line to seek an endorsement.
My campaign has been, and continues to be, about the working families of Toledo. Each day as I meet the voters of the city, the dire economic situation that we face as a community remains the main point of discussion. Men and women of all backgrounds are concerned for their jobs and worry about their children finding jobs when they come of age.
I have the honor of being endorsed by many labor unions that together represent thousands of individuals. Those men and women go to work each day to make better lives for themselves and their families. They are not looking for a hand out—they are looking to make an honest day’s wage in exchange for an honest day’s work. My first job as a citizen and as a candidate for office is to keep their interests at hand. By not crossing a fellow worker’s line, I believe I am accomplishing just that.
I urge you to go back to the negotiating table to get these men and women back to work. They belong at the table, not on the other side of a locked door.
My thoughts remain with the employees of the Blade and my fervent hope is for a quick and just resolution to the lockout.
Sincerely,
Bob Vasquez
At Large Candidate
Toledo City Council
Keeping Your Belongings Safe Through Storms
-
Years ago almost every house was built with some sort of shutter, whether
designed as storm shutters or for security. Granted, most windows during
those d...
13 years ago
12 comments:
I've always thought that Bob Vasquez was his own person - regardless of political party or union endorsements or a-b team issues.
His decision, as the first local candidate, to not seek an endorsement just reinforces that opinion.
Does it really matter? The Bland was going to endorse Joe McNamara anyway. Bob knew he wouldn't get it, so he told the Bland NOT to endorse him. Kudos to Bob.
I agree with anonymous. Vasquez had nothing to lose and used the opportunity to get earned media thru his press statement. I believe the move is more of a political one than one based in principle.
Now this is one of the reasons why I support my wife with local political events, statements etc. and not actually enjoy them. I see a man making a decision based on his views as a human being but because he's a candidate this of course has to be a political move. So to the anon that believes this, let's hope that you don't find yourself second guessing yourself when it comes to family decisions, because you never know who's watching.
I'm going to disagree with my non-political husband :-)
While I am fairly certain that Bob based this decision on his dedication to the unions that have endorsed him and that his letter was very sincere...there is a political strategic point to this as well and it was a very smart political move. It is always smart to remember your base. Now any one who is a union supporter will I'm sure consider this in their decision of who to vote for on November 7th.
I'm not sure though that it's a given that the Blade will endorse Joe, I don't think they would have endorsed Bob but it probably was more possible he would have gotten the endorsement given all of the variables than Justice O'Neill would have who also declined the Blade endorsement.
I will have to agree unfortunately with my wife and anon. I just don't believe that Bob did this totally based on politics. What I do believe is that on a scale of 100, his decision was more like a 40/60 split - 40 political and 60 non political. Although my heart tells me that it was done completely from a moral stand point.
Miguel, I understand where you are coming from on this and that's okay. I appreciate that you look more to the heart and soul of candidates and issues where I consider that but I also look at the strategic standpoint. That's why I'm more of a hard core political junkie and you are one of my biggest supporters but would rather sit in the car than get involved in most of this stuff. I love you for the way you are and there are times when your insight into some of this is very helpful because we do come at most of this from a different perspective.
:-)
Love is in the air - or am I the only one? :)
lmao - it's just you - now get back to work.
:-)
So - if Bob makes a decision based upon principle and it's also seen by some to be politically advantageous it's a bad thing????
For goodness sake - under those conditions a politician making a 'right' decision will still get slammed by those who judge all actions solely by politics.
And then we wonder why more 'good' people don't get involved in running for office.
I think you can do both Maggie but I think we also both know that there will always be those who criticize a person no matter what they do. The "damned if you do, damned if you don't" theory that makes it obvious that all anyone a candidate or otherwise can do is make decisions that they feel are right for them. Sometimes they are going to be based on political strategy, sometimes they are going to be based directly from their heart and sometimes? Both.
:-)
Kudos to Bob regardless of the motive.
Post a Comment