Saturday, October 07, 2006

More on alley garbage pick up in Toledo...

I headed on over to read the City Journal today and I saw there was a section entitled: Appendix B, Rules And Regulations, Issued By The Director Of Public Service, Regulations Governing Refuse Collection. I did a quick search of the Toledo Blade but only found the article that was written on September 8th. Some changes that should especially be noted by those of us who have alley trash pickup:

Trash bags set out for collection in alleys that are not in a regulation refuse container are prohibited and will not be collected.


You should also be aware of what type of container is considered a "regulation refuse container":

Section 205 – Acceptable Refuse Containers/Weight Limits. Regular refuse containers must be of relatively sturdy plastic or metal construction, have two handles, and a maximum capacity of thirty-five (35) gallons. The total loaded weight of the container shall not exceed sixty (60) pounds and shall not have an attached lid.


Containers manufactured with one handle shall not exceed a total loaded weight of forty (40) pounds.

And this is of note:

Section 409 – Date of Effect. These regulations shall take effect and be in force thirty (30) days after the date they are published in the “Toledo City Journal.”

This was published on September 30, 2006.

Which means if I am interpreting this correctly alley trash collection still exists however it now has to be in approved trash cans not the current system of cans or bags. If you have curbside trash pick up you can still use trash bags or trash cans.

If you'd like to read this particular City Journal for yourself it is linked in the title and here. Also of note is several one way streets are going to have sections become two way.

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, I have become the "trash blogger".

:-)

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

Aww, Lisa, don't play coy, I've been reading your trash for months :-)

A trashy question:

Say you want to keep your "approved" plastic cans clean, so you bag your garbage and dutifully placed the bags in your spotlessly clean "approved" containers.

Then, when the collectors (who get to go home when they have finished their route for the day) tug on your garbage bag and it resists easily coming out of your shiny new "approved/required" container, what happens?

After much unscientific study, I have determined that a typical garbage bag, properly loaded and placed into an "approved/required" contained, will be held in place by the vacuum that forms when an upward pressure is exerted upon the garbage bag, requiring much more that 60 lbs. of force to extract it.

Of course, applying excessive force will cause the garbage to burst, usually at the bottom, and the resulting mess is quite impressive.

How, in your opinion, does this fit in with herr carlrton's grand plan of a more beautiful Toledo?

More importantly, who cleans up the mess, when the collectors move on and make it "Not their problem?"

Watch out!

I think I see another ReadyFireAim moment in the making...

I would LOVE to be watching this potential fiasco, with camera in hand.

Unknown said...

Hooda - the official answer from the same City Journal:

Spillage resulting from torn bags or damaged containers is the resident’s responsibility.

Which means...the mess is left for you to clean up.

However, as long as you don't have alley trash pick up you are not required to use cans - yet anyway.

:-)

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

Ole Carleton is gonna have plenty of splainin to do if he intends to pull this kind of crap citywide.

I wouldn't be surprised if this stunt alone is enough to rekindle those recall efforts.

Decent plastic bags for refuse collection are a proven and accepted technology and have been accepted/permitted in Toledo for years, I'd like to see Carty try to turn back the hands of time on this one.

There are some things that the citizens just will not put up with and this just may be one of them.

As for my garbage collection, if it becomes a problem, I have a plan "B..."

;-)

Anonymous said...

I have been complaing to the city for well over four years now about the state of the alleys and the amount of trash that liters our streets.

The city in this case; Neighborhoods Department, City Council member for the area and the Mayor's office, dragged thier collective feet when I reported an almost literal dumping ground at a bus stop at the corner of Cherry and Bancroft.

http://www.aeonity.com/neighbor

It took over 2 months to get that one situation resolved and yet the Mayor and company put up signs about "pride."

I have had to complain to the Solid Waste Department weekly about trash spots where I live.

I do not care for the sight of trash blowing up and down the sidewalk or alley and I do not care for over flowing trash cans set out on Monday when trash day is Friday.

If the trash bag tears open because too much trash is in it, whose responsibility is it too clean the mess if the rules are posted.

Now, what I have done is to communicate with Mr. Franklin who is noted in the article and he is most receptive to ideas and comments.

The other departments and departmental heads are more akin to being stuck in one gear and cannot seem to move forward.

The city allegedly is to up date its web site and inform and educate the public about the rules and hopefully enforce the rules which have been soarly lacking for the almost 10 years I have lived in Toledo.

Anonymous said...

My ex is a garbage man for the City of Toledo, I showed him your posting and he did not know about this new regulation. Back in Aug. I mentioned to some of his co-workers about the switch to curb side pick up that was to begin in Sept. in East Toledo, they also did not know of this. The garbage men have been working without a contract for over a year and a half, with the City still stalling. While I know there are some guys that don't do their job right, finishing up as soon as they can so they can get their full days pay in as little time as they can, ie: working 3-4 hrs paid for 8. But there are some good ones like the ex. It is a very dangerous and hard job. Walking 5 miles a day, in every kind of weather. Picking up 75-100 tons of garbage a day. Shall we pay them by the pound? There has only been one day, in his 10yrs working refuse that garbage was not picked up due to bad weather. Last year, when we had that ice storm, they refused to work because the did not want the trucks sliding or workers injured. Later that day, there were trucks going out. Please be a little be more supportive of the refuse workers, its a darn hard job, I know, I tested for the job. Sadly failed.

Unknown said...

Good point anonymous and I'm sorry if it came across as being hard on the actual workers who collect garbage as it is not one of the most easy or pleasant jobs out there. I know I couldn't do it.

My main issue is the lack of information on this topic from the City and it appears from your post that the actual workers aren't being told this information either.

Anonymous said...

"My main issue is the lack of information on this topic from the City and it appears from your post that the actual workers aren't being told this information either."

This is an excellent point.

I have e-mailed back and forth with the people in charge of this plan and there is no set plan in place as it seems very fluid as in they did not think it through before announcing it.

The city of Toledo's web site is vast waste land of lack of information and I was told that the web sites for the departments would be updated and information would be posted.

There are public e-mail addresses for those involved if the city leaders want input, give it to them.

Unknown said...

I do email them from time to time, and some of our city and county officials do stop by here to read as well as comment from time to time. That's part of the reason for the links on the side bar under the listing of "survival basics" to make it easy for people to at least find contact info.

I did just check the Division of Solid Waste website and you are correct it is still the same as it was before. Considering the change takes affect 30 days after it is published in the City Journal if they are going to make the switch to can only collection in alleys they should start letting people know soon.

Anonymous said...

"I did just check the Division of Solid Waste website and you are correct it is still the same as it was before. "

It is not only solid waste it is the Neighborhoods Department also.

A lot of trash issues are 100% solid waste related. If it is at the curb line and right of way then it is. If not the Neighborhoods department is the contact point and frankly the Neighboorhoods Department needs work as in responding and doing something.

I spent over two months contacting that department about trash at a bus stop and other issues and not until I posted pictures of the mess did something get done.

Solid Waste has the same managerial attitude.

It starts at the top with the commissioners and managers. If the Mayor wants a pride filled city then he should instill that pride in the management of the city and not out up banners.

The curb side program is a great idea but was not thought out well enough before the announcement and now they are back to the drawing board.

Anonymous said...

http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061011/NEWS16/61011024

And it is October 12 and the switch will start on October 30th.

And the public will be told when? Via what source?

I suggested sending notices in the tax and water bills.

Unknown said...

I saw that in the Blade this morning too - and I emailed my district City Councilperson to ask for clarification since the City Journal states alley trash pick up will have to be in cans and does not mention the discontinuation of alley collection.

Given the large numbers of people who don't read the Blade it's going to be difficult for the City to demand compliance with this given the lack of notification. Then of course the question of why print in the City Journal that this will take affect in 30 days having it be a switch to cans only for alley trash pick up if it has now beeen discontinued. It makes one wonder which is it? Does this mean the alleys that are still going to have trash collection have to now use cans? Which alleys will still have trash collection?

I'll update if I get a response...

Anonymous said...

Well, I just got notice from the ex, that he has an informational meeting regarding curbside pickup for all members of the Teamster Local 20 employed at the City Of Toledo Division of Solid Waste. Would you believe the date for this meeting is Saturday October 28. Yes, 2 days before everything is to be emplimented. Sounds like a fiasco waiting to happen.

Anonymous said...

One question-when will they officially tell the people who this garbag can deal affects? Some of us work late-don't really watch the news, we don't get the Blade. How about a flier deliveried to each house, with all of the rules. Who comes up with this stuff? If they want a cleaner city, don't make it harder on peple, esp. the elderly.

Unknown said...

Kathy, I was told that we would be getting flyers delivered door to door for those of us who currently have alley trash collection but will have to switch to curbside collection and that those few who were allowed to continue alley trash collection but would have to now only use cans would receive notice by mail. I haven't received either, neither have any of my neighbors.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Lisa, just heard on WTOL that they are starting the new system today the 27th. I thought it was the 30th. Anyways no fliers or information of any sort from the city.