Friday, October 06, 2006

Sherrod Brown, Luke Perry and meeting Connie Schultz





Tonight's rally at UT was a great one, really nice turn out. I liked the music, people seemed to enjoy the pizza while they were waiting for Sherrod and Luke to arrive. There were a few Mike Dewine supporters, there is a picture of one young lady who didn't give me her name but said she's a reader of the blog, all of the pictures from tonight are at the title link. There was some heckling from the DeWine supporters during the band playing which they handled quite well, some more heckling during Luke Perry's speech which he handled too. Someone yelled for him to go back to Hollywood, not realizing that Luke Perry was born in Ohio and has had a very long relationship with the Brown family. Sherrod's father who was a doctor delievered Luke. Luke introduced Sherrod who focused on college education, jobs and turning our state around. I think the largest cheering came when it was said that Ohio was going to turn blue with this election. Sherrod also dealt with some heckling from the DeWine supporters but he kept on his message. The majority of the crowd was very vocal in support of Sherrod and there was some of the same sign jostling infront of the cameras that happened at the UT event that Ted Strickland attended.


Ben Konop was there for the whole rally with some of his supporters, Joe McNamara was also there as well as many of his supporters. Peter Ujvagi arrived with the group who accompanied Sherrod. There could have been others there that arrived later but that was who I saw.

I didn't get a chance to talk with Sherrod, he was busy doing interviews and doing the candidate meet and greet thing. However, I did introduce myself to Connie Schultz who was someone I really have been wanting to meet for quite some time. Before Glass City Jungle even existed Connie and I exchanged a few emails and even prior to that, I made it a point to try to read her Cleveland Plain Dealer column. That for me was a cool moment because she remembered who I was. She also talked with Aubrey for a few moments and told her how great she thought it was that Aubrey was getting involved in politics and told her that when she was about Aubrey's age that was when she had started getting really interested in politics too.

Yes, the picture is from tonight during the rally Aubrey was holding Sherrod Brown signs and doing some dancing to Ten Mile Creek...

:-)

5 comments:

Scott said...

Hi, Lisa

Yeah, this was a good event. Sherrod and Luke put on a solid display of how liberals can deflect criticism of "values voters" with some old-fashioned populist rhetoric.

Before tonight, I was unaware of Luke Perry's background and connection with Sherrod's family. It's a great story, and I thought those two delivered an effective message tonight.

BTW, I saw you tonight and said "Hi", but I think you didn't recognize me in a suit and tie. Usually, I wear shorts and a t-shirt to these events...

Unknown said...

I didn't realize you said Hi, (sorry) and I thought it was you - I have a picture of you with Kevin but you are right the suit threw me off till I came home and downloaded my pictures and I said...OMG it's Don! In a suit!

:-)

Unknown said...

There are also others who wrote about the College Tour.

As you see above, Don from the Nookular Option was at UT too.

Over at Oh2 the tour at the University of Dayton is covered. (It looks like they had more DeWine supporter there than here in Toledo.)

And Jim Tankersley of the Toledo Blade while making me think about that old song "Bar Room Blitz" covered BGSU and UT.

:-)

Anonymous said...

300 people pack a room on the BGSU campus when most students had left for fall break and the DeWine campaign has a press conference with few supporters in front of a building where its membership had endorsed Sherrod Brown. That tells you all you need to about who has the momentum in this race.

DeWine is the incumbent yet has trailed in every poll published for months, rarely if ever topping 45 percent of the vote. Barring a major scandal in the Brown campaign, those who attended the rallies at BGSU or Toledo got to meet Ohio's next Senator.

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

Looks like a pretty good turnout!

Still doing my election homework, between the "Honey do" chores, that is ;-)