The Lourdes Santiago for Toledo City Council campaign.
Yesterday two campaign volunteers from the Lourdes Santiago for Toledo City Council campaign stopped by to give me a card/flyer. It is kind of obvious by our front yard that we follow local politics. :-)
So, major kudos to being the first ones to visit over here. Since I know many of the candidates are doing door to door contact/lit drops, I find it strange that my part of South Toledo had not been visited by supporters of candidates or issues.
If you haven't been visited yet? Here is the material I received yesterday:
Back of card
Front of card
For those really into the detail of who published this? I have no idea, it's too hard to read even when magnified but it does state it was paid for by the Ohio Democratic Party.
:-)
Keeping Your Belongings Safe Through Storms
-
Years ago almost every house was built with some sort of shutter, whether
designed as storm shutters or for security. Granted, most windows during
those d...
13 years ago
7 comments:
I find it strange that my part of South Toledo had not been visited by supporters of candidates or issues.
Your precinct may not be a prime target due to lack of voter turn-out.
What is your ward/pct? It's probably on your address label?
That's my guess too Lib Dem - there are only a few people over here who have signs - maybe five in a several block radius.
I'm in District 3 16O so according to the BOE's report on October 24, 2006 - there were 26,042 registered voters for all of District 3. Yet...when I pulled the results from this precinct from the 2005 election for Toledo City Council:
Number of Precincts 1
Precincts Reporting 1 100.0 %
Total Votes 1127
ERNIE BERRY 46 4.08%
PHIL COPELAND 109 9.67%
BOB McCLOSKEY 139 12.33%
K. McCONNELL HANCOCK 65 5.77%
GEORGE SARANTOU 124 11.00%
DAVE SCHULZ 75 6.65%
KAREN SHANAHAN 81 7.19%
TERRY SHANKLAND 75 6.65%
BETTY SHULTZ 111 9.85%
MARK SOBCZAK 134 11.89%
FRANK SZOLLOSI 85 7.54%
BOB VASQUEZ 82 7.28%
AMANDA SCOTT-RICE 1 0.09%
Write-in Votes 0 0.00%
It appears there were some Carty fans:
CARTY FINKBEINER 215
JACK FORD 51
And Lourdes did have some support as a judicial candidate here:
LOURDES SANTIAGO 75
LYNN SCHAEFER 131
More recently in the May 2006 primary - Ben won this precinct as well as Jim Nusbaum, Sherrod Brown (Merrill Keiser got a surprising 22 votes to Brown's 38).
That's probably more info than anyone wanted but I hadn't done a lot of research into this precinct or it's voting habits. Now I guess I understand why my yard display has gotten so much attention - lol.
:-)
So, I'm guessing that your precinct has already been claimed by one party and ceded by the other; no sense wasting any time/resources there, they belong to______________.
A pity that any neighborhood is taken for granted, but those are the decisions of the professional politicians.
It seems like most of the candidates have not felt we were worth the time to stop by which I guess is understandable in one way. I know they have limited time/volunteer resources.
revised post:
In Ward 16 pct. O there are only 224 voters who voted in both the'02 and '04 elections, the last gubernatorial and the last presidential.
Of these there are:
91 D's
102 No Party
31 R's
At least you won't have to wait too long in line at the voting booth.
People running for office fail to visit an area for what ever reason, resources, money, etc...and then chastise people for not voting.
The council race is at-large, meaning the entire city. Smart candidates target areas where voters will come out to the polls and vote. It is impossible to get to every neighborhood in Toledo.
The fact that Santiago targeted 16-O is puzzling: either they don't have the data or they have so many volunteers that they can cover low-vote areas.
Post a Comment