This from the Dave Schulz for Toledo City Council campaign:
Schulz & GOP Chairman Reichert To Hold Press Conference On Deceptive And Unethical Campaign Practices Of Joe McNamara
City Council candidate Dave Schulz and GOP chairman Bob Reichert will hold a press conference on Thursday October 26th at 11:15 a.m. at the Point Place Branch Library to discuss more unethical and deceptive campaign practices of Joe McNamara.
Republicans have been calling party headquarters complaining about postcards Mr. McNamara has been sending them because of the implication that he is a Republican candidate. On the heels of the dust up involving the Democratic Party slate card mailing earlier this week, now comes another instance of deceptive and unethical campaigning.
“It begs the question: who is the real Joe McNamara? One day he appears to be Democrat. The next a Republican. We are trying to replace the ethically challenged Bob McCloskey and this guy is taking a page from the McCloskey playbook.”, Schulz said.
Last year McCloskey couldn’t decide whether he was running for election or re-election and now Joe can’t decide what party he belongs to.
Schulz will discuss and detail the hypocrisy and misrepresentations on Mcnamara’s communication to voters.
Who is the real Joe McNamara?
He says he is fighting for our values?
Deception, dishonesty and weasalry are not our values. He tries to deceive Democratic voters and now is trying to fool Republican voters. Mcnamara will do or say anything to get elected.
He says he will fight to help our economy and create new jobs?
Supports Issue 2 that will burden businesses with reporting requirements and subject personnel records to inspection. He also buys his signs and postcards out of state. His deceptive postcards and brochures were bought from a company in Tyler, TX. Real Republicans oppose larding up the constitution with issues the legislature should address.
Strengthen law enforcement?
He has proposed millions of dollars in campaign promises, yet offers no way to pay for them; threatening police, fire and other basic city services. Real Republicans believe in fiscal responsibility.
Cut taxes and control spending?
Proposed tax cuts for fire and police employees and teachers. He offers no way to pay for them. Can you say tax hike on the rest of us to pay for the selected few?
He proposed a spending restraint law but refused to say how he would cut the budget to comply with his proposal.
Keeping Your Belongings Safe Through Storms
-
Years ago almost every house was built with some sort of shutter, whether
designed as storm shutters or for security. Granted, most windows during
those d...
13 years ago
15 comments:
so I'd be interested in knowing what was on the slate card that would suggest that Joe Mac is a Republican.
Don't know LD, I haven't seen the card in question - only information I have is what's on the press release. I'd like to see it too.
This is a shameful, desperate and above all else FALSE charge. What Joe is being attacked for here is campaigning for (and getting) Republican votes instead of leaving them for Dave.
The pictures on the postcard that Mr. Schulz and Mr. Reichert find so objectionable are of Joe with retired Ohio Supreme Court Justice Andy Douglas - Joe's mentor, a Republican and a strong supporter of the McNamara campaign - and of the late Dan McNamara, Joe's father.
So I'm not sure exactly whether Joe's being attacked for mentioning his father or for mentioning his political mentor.
What I do know is that there are McNamara television ads airing and McNamara signs in every neighborhood in Toledo that prominently advertise that Joe is a DEMOCRAT, while Dave Schulz conspicuously leaves his party affiliation off of EVERYTHING.
The recent Zogby poll showed that McNamara is beating the endorsed Democrat amongst Democratic voters and beating the endorsed Republican (Schulz) by a margin of 2-to-1 amongst Republican voters. That's why the party bosses (Ray Kest and Tom Noe cronies, respectively) are attacking him.
Ben Krompak
Friends of Joe McNamara Committee
Well Joe's mom is a Noe crony too? What about that?
Why does Joe mention his Dad is a republican to republicans but not to east side voters? Seems he is ashamed to mention that his father was a republican to some audiences. That is shameful and deceptive.
Mark
I'll be honest that this press release crosses the line into an attack based on information I can't confirm rather than what I intended to do when I said I would post all press releases sent to me from any of the campaigns which was to help inform voters on the issues.
I have not seen the cards but I don't believe many people could feel that Joe was hiding from being a Democrat. Ben Krompak makes a valid point that all of Joe's signs which are everywhere all state he is a Democrat. Very few of the Republicans running, including Dave have their party affiliation on their signs. I haven't seen the sample GOP ballot that was mailed out either, but I have been told that Dave Schulz isn't listed on it, which would be the fault of the Lucas County GOP but I understand Dave did send his own cards out as I know many of the local candidates have sent out their own mailings.
I know both Dave Schulz and George Sarantou have raised issues about the Tyler TX purchases and I think we've pretty much expressed our feelings on that one.
I know there has been a lot of bitterness in this Toledo City Council campaign as well as some of the other races too and I don't think that's what the voters of Toledo want. I know I didn't intend for Glass City Jungle to be used to attack other people, like I wrote the last time when the Lucas County Democratic Party was making similar accusations, they were unfounded given any logical person looking at the campaign material.
So, the accusations Dave has made are out there and as soon as I get a copy of this ballot I'll do the same thing I did with the Jon Stainbrook one and the Democratic Sample ballot and the push poll that was done - I'll post it.
Dave Schultz is simply looking for an issue to get his lagging campaign effort going. Everyone knows that the race is between Joe M. and Lourdes Santiago. The others are simply also rans.
My campaign finance reports indicate I paid for my signs: Clear Images and Toledo Sign. Christine is absolutely wrong and should retract her false statement.
Dave Schulz
One thing that has been made clear in my mind with this election cycle is that good people with integrity and a stable moral compass are in short supply in the political world.
I'm grateful for the support and encouragement I've received and no matter what the outcome, I'll walk away having met and interacted with some great people along the way.
Mark Dansack
(11 days to go)
There are three reasons why the Blade (a second rate newspaper with serious labor problems) endorsed Joe Mac:
1. He's related to a past Toledo politician (JRB loves nepotism).
2. He's young, and JRB will take advantage of his youth and inexperience to push his agenda.
3. All of Joe Mac's college degrees are out of state (JRB has distain for Ohio colleges).
The same can be said for why the Blade endorsed Ben Konop.
Dave, Christine did preface that with "from her understanding", but thank you for the clarification on that point.
I should also clarify that I have been told by people who initially received the information from the Lucas County GOP that Dave was not listed with the other candidates, but I haven't seen that mailing either and it appears that has been corrected.
Anyway, the images of the cards in question have been uploaded and are on the blog for people to see. I'm trying to be as clear as possible but as was demonstrated with that posting, I am posting while under the influence of prescription pain medication.
Is it wrong to send a targeted mailing out to those of another party and not put your party affiliation on there or is that smart marketing?
Is the accusation of Joe hiding his party affiliation a valid one considering most of the local and state Republican candidates don't list a party affiliation on their signs?
On the flip side realizing that we did have a percentage of voters who believed that Phil Copeland was the deceased Bill Copeland, I guess it's possible that there could be people that if they were going on the basis of just the one post card were confused as to Joe's party affiliation but for the majority of us, it would seem most of us know that Joe is not only a Democrat but is not the endorsed Democrat because the Lucas County Democratic Party has made that pretty clear.
Thank you to everyone who is bearing with me as far as my lack of clarity, I appreciate your patience as I try to blog yet maybe I should stay in bed...
:-)
As I see it, the ISSUE is one of integrity.
Joe puts out an endorsement card that makes it look like it came from the Democrats ... even if he didn't explicitly say that they endorsed him, that was the INTENT.
THEN Joe goes out to make it look like he's conservative or an R. The proof? He touts his dad's R credentials, doesn't mention his push for the minimum wage increase (hardly an R issue), and intentionally left off "unendorsed Democrat" from the only mailing going specifically to R's!
The bottom line is he trying to be all things to all people. And THAT shows a lack of integrity!
I find it amusing that Joe's people keep trying to trash Dave Schulz. Schulz has never hidden anything about himself, including being gay or Republican. Say what you will, but Dave Schulz will be a good, honest addition to the Toledo City Council, and, I believe, he'll be the one sworn in later in November.
Lyle from Oregon
Dave Schulz is hiding nothing about himself? His signs and literature don't disclose his party affiliation AND HE IS NOW RUNNING A RADIO AD SAYING HE IS "THE ENDORSED CANDIDATE" WITHOUT SPECIFYING WHO HE IS ENDORSED BY! He is guilty of what he's accusing McNamara of ten times over!!!
I'm not sure as to the "ten times over" but you are correct anonymous that Dave's commercial doesn't say he is the endorsed Republican it states he is "your endorsed City Council candidate" and the word Republican is not said in the commercial.
The saddest part of all of this is that the issues the candidates are trying to get across during their campaigns always get lost those last few weeks before election day arrives. I'm neither for or against any of the candidates, nor am I a democrat or republican. I also live outside of the city limits, so I can't vote on anything that is Toledo specific. But my opionion of politics the last few weeks before election day is that I wish I had TiVo so that I could FF through all these commercials. The goals always get lost and the candidates turn to mudslinging and it's simply sickening. If there were a candidate out there that truly gave a crap they wouldn't buy into all this stuff because it does nothing more than make them look like complete and total idiots! People don't want the friggin skeletons from their opponents closets, they don't want to sit and listen to the candidates say "I'm better than my opponent because I buy local and spend more money or I am the only one that tells the truth" because the fact of the matter is EVERY politician lies in some way or another and I personally would rather see a person be frugal than buy local. Yes, supporting our local economy is something important, but if a candidate can save a good chunk of change by going elsewhere then I think that shows that they do their research and use their money well. Stop pointing a finger at the other person because the only thing you truly succeed in doing by doing that is pointing 3 more back at yourself with the one (finger) in the middle making the biggest statement! Get back to the true issues and forget this friggin sibling nit picking, I hear enough of it at home, I sure don't want to hear it from people who want me or anyone else to vote for them!
Dave soft-pedals being a republican, as do most Lucas Co. R's, that's nothing special or new.
When you're running as an "R" in a heavily "D" area, you usually soft-pedal your affiliation.
What is inherently dishonest about that?
If you listen to the ideas, rather than for the party affiliation, you might be pleasantly surprised by what you get.
The rest of this is just political fertilizer...
Post a Comment