From today's Cleveland Plain Dealer:
First, a Plain Dealer poll of 625 registered voters across the state showed the proposal is losing by a double-digit margin with about a month left before Election Day. The poll, published in Sunday's paper, found 52 percent of those surveyed plan to vote against the gambling proposal while 36 percent favor it.
Then on Tuesday, prominent religious figures announced their opposition to Issue 3. Catholic leaders and a group of prominent Cleveland black preachers came out with separate statements against the proposal.
Next week, I'm told, the Cleveland NAACP will announce its opposition to the slots proposal. The hits just keep on coming.
This is easy to understand. Anyone who reads the fine print of Issue 3 and isn't blinded by the gambling lobby's flashing lights recognizes the proposal as bad public policy.
Well for some of it seems to be hard to understand, especially people who are focusing on side issues like biases with some of those who have come out against Issue 3...but I agree for anyone who bothers to actually read the information and not listen to the tv and radio hype it should come across as bad public policy.
I don't share Sam Fulwood III's belief that Issue 3 will not pass, call me cynical but we do have too many voters who are not informed, especially in our own local area. I hope it doesn't pass, I hope he is right when he writes:
Fortunately, the truth is gaining traction. This week's news helps drive home the message to any undecided voters. Nobody has an excuse for an uninformed decision when the polls open next month.
I feel so optimistic after this week's news that I'm dancing to the edge of a sturdy limb to shout out:
Slots machines won't rip off the Buckeye State any time soon.
So while he's dancing at the edge of sturdy branches...I'll watch with the safety net just incase...
Keeping Your Belongings Safe Through Storms
-
Years ago almost every house was built with some sort of shutter, whether
designed as storm shutters or for security. Granted, most windows during
those d...
13 years ago
2 comments:
I'd also point out not even Charlie Ruma who heads the slot proposal believes the numbers that are being advertised:
The slots committee's own estimates show that 31,000 slots would generate $853 million a year for college -- and that number is achieved only by 2012, if Ohio's population and median incomes grow appropriately, a campaign consultant says.
A frustrated Charlie Ruma, head of the slots effort, said his voice has been in the minority complaining about the exaggerated claim, trumpeted on television commercials running statewide for Issue 3.
Patrick Bero, president of Strategic Partner, said Learn and Earn's claims of "almost a billion dollars" for college education "is a lot of rounding [off] for me."
link
Lisa,
I too am cautiously optimistic about Issue 3's demise, almost.
But, people are beginning to question the numbers; they are too good to believe.
I just wish more were aware that the short term bribe will hand earn and learn:
Tax free revenue forever.
A virtual monopoly in Ohio.
-and-
After the short-term bribe, all of the income tax free, forever...
Talk about your sweetheart deals...
Anybody feel like being snookered, for life?
Post a Comment