I saw this last night on WTOL and meant to post it:
TOLEDO -- Instant citations are creating instant anger in Toledo. It doesn't matter whether you've got huge piles of trash sitting in front of your home, or just one little box -- if it's there too early, you're going to get a $75 ticket from the city.
City councilman Rob Ludeman says the city has to punish those who abuse collection time, but he also said the city shouldn't immediately be raking people over the coals. "Let's educate the public," he said.
Ludeman doesn't want this issue to turn into a head-butting situation between the council and the administration, or between the citizens and the administration. But it may be too late to win over the citizens. Ludeman said 500 phone calls about the new trash rules poured into city council offices over the past two weeks.
Ludeman says he wants to sit down with Mayor Carty Finkbeiner in the next day or two to see if a six-month educational process can be established -- to warn people about what it'll cost them if they violate the rules.
There's more at the link and...our trash collection day is Tuesday - still no flyer from the City about the discontinuation of alley trash collection.
:-)
Keeping Your Belongings Safe Through Storms
-
Years ago almost every house was built with some sort of shutter, whether
designed as storm shutters or for security. Granted, most windows during
those d...
13 years ago
7 comments:
There needs to be a mass movement against this stupid law.
It doesn't need to be "tweaked," it needs to be dumped.
Focus attention on people who leave litter on their blighted properties, not the law-abiding citizens.
This is the kind of bureaucratic inanity that drives me batty.
Typical Carty. There are serious problems in Toledo (e.g. increasing crime rates and a decaying infrastructure), and he putzes around with stupid laws or stupid ways to spend our money. This guy ought to be recalled.
Kinda makes one wonder why "The Charlatan" even bothers with the trash pickup, he's got people to do that for him.
Oh, I almost for got it's that pesky recessive micro-management gene thing again...
BTW, did anybody else notice the Bike Path on the South side of Airport Highway, where the sidewalk would ordinarily go?
Yet Another Bike Path to Nowhere…
Neither did I ;-)
I wonder if that was in the original specs. . .
I also wonder if this was another late "executive" decision?
I further wonder if these little "extras" are why we are approaching a guesstimated $ 800,000 shortfall in the City's 2006 budget?
And, while our Police need over a hundred new cars. . .
Mayor McNutty strikes again.
Once again an example of a Neroesque approach to being the Mayor. Giving people another reason to leave the City of Toledo by picking on law abiding citizens.
This is the sort of thing that makes people nuts. You can report a crime and be told that you're welcome to call in on Monday or go over to a station house to file a report. Instead I think the next time I need a policeman, I will remember to mention that instead of the criminal having a gun, I will mention that they left garbage. THAT WILL GET SOME ACTION!
One more thing. The fines are $75 for the first, $150 for the second and $300 for the third. What's more is that if you have a violation after the $300 penalty within a 2 year period.....each fine is at $300.
DUMP THIS STUPID LAW! LET COMMON SENSE REIGN!
I saw the bike path and all I could do was look at Jeremy and say "what the hell is the point of that?" I mean comeon it goes from Reynolds to Byrne.... wow take a bike ride past all the Sect. 8 housing and hope that you dont get jumpped
As of today, Nov. 20, 2006, what is the earliest, the night before garbage collection, that it can be set out?
Post a Comment